un soffio di toscana
un soffio di toscana un soffio di toscana un soffio di toscana un soffio di toscana
un soffio di toscana   un soffio di toscana - lingue
un soffio di toscana un soffio di toscana  
un soffio di toscana  
agriturismi e tipicità
                 La Valle del Diavolo

_____________________________________________________________________

Castelnuovo Val Di Cecina

_____________________________________________________________________

 
Castelnuovo
   
 
 
 
Our farmhouse
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The origin of this village is probably medieval, like all    
the “borghi” of the area. Perhaps, it was built afterwards
a Longobard settlement situated nearby. Hence the
name Castro Nuovo ( New Castle ). The first written
record dates back from 1176 and tells about a village
under the rule of a lord of Longodard origin (the Lambardi)
till 1210 when they submitted to the commune of Volterra.
In the same century Castelnuovo thanks to its mineral
resources became an important economic centre but it
was also subject to a lot of taxes. In 1447, like many other
villages, it was invaded by the army of Alfonso d' Aragona
and when he withdrew his toops, was under the
occupation of Antonio Petrucci from Siena. Helped by
Florence , Volterra conquered again the castle. In 1639
it became a possession of the grand Duchy and Ferdinand II de Medici made Luca degli Albizzi Marquis of the
castle wich he and his family kept until the drand duchy was abolished in the second half of the 18th century. In
1737 after the Medici's extinction, Castelnuovo followed the same destiny of the Granducato di Toscana. In 1860 it
was annexed to the Reign of Italy.
 
 
 
Place to visit:
The church of SS Salvatore

of medieval origin, was renovated in 1744 and 1760 and is characterised by a salient facade and by an impressive flight of steps leading to the church square. The restoration work changed the inner space. First it was carried out on the aisle on the church tower side, then on the apse. A precious wooden crucifix is preserved inside. The entitling to the San Salvatore (Saint Saviour) is rarely found in the area. The churches with these names were built on christian primitive sites or on pilgrims stations on the way to Rome At the end of the right aisle there is a majestic organ dating from the 17th century. It has been restored and enlarged several times during the centuries. It can be considered one of the most interesting example of Tuscan organ art.  

 

The Oratory of Madonna al Piano

It is situated near the bridges on the Pavone and is now part of a farmhouse. We know very little about this Oratorio, built before the second half of the 17th century. A local legend links its building to a miracolous event happened to the painting of Madonna with Child worshipped in the Oratory. The legend has it that the painting was found left in the place where later it would be worshipped, and it was taken and placed in the Church of San Savatore in Castelnuovo, but it disappeared from there and reappeared in the very place where it had been first found. Then it was decided to build a chapel there and the painting, which was placed inside, could be worshipped in the very place where it had been since the beginning. A copy of the same painting is kept in the Church of SS Salvatore .


The Chapel is opened to the public for the annual feast which is held at the end of May and on a few other occasions. Every threee years it is celebrated with greater solemnity with a procession.

 
Castelnuovo V.C. veduta aerea
  Montecastelli Veduta aerea
 

 

Montecastelli Pisano
Montecastelli has a Longobard origin and it was an important watch out and defensive site on the minerary road
which crossed the Metal hills from North to South. But at the time of the Etruscans the place was already
inhabitated, an evidence of this are the etruscan tombs (VII century B.C.) where the first christians practised their
rites at the time of the Arian persecution. The village was fortified and divided into different properties, owned by the
Pannochieschi and Aldobrandeschi families around the XI century. In 1204 the bishops succeeded to gain control
of the place till the end of the 13th century, when Comune di Volterra fought and won the castle.The Church in
which the titles of San Filippo and Giacomo were conferred from another one in Buccignano, preserves inside
a painting by Cosimo Daddi and it is one of the few examples of Romanesque architecture.
 
 
 
 
linea orizzontale
prodotti tipici borghi e chiese musei
Natural Produce Villages and churchs Geotermia  
un soffio di toscana Un Soffio di Toscana - Pomarance - Pisa - www.unsoffioditoscana.it - info@unsoffioditoscana.it                        Siti Amici     SiteMap un soffio di toscana
un soffio di toscana
italiano english french deutsch home home home