un soffio di toscana
un soffio di toscana un soffio di toscana un soffio di toscana un soffio di toscana
un soffio di toscana   un soffio di toscana - lingue
un soffio di toscana un soffio di toscana  
un soffio di toscana  
agriturismi e tipicità
                 La Valle del Diavolo




Dove alloggiare
Proceeding along the SS 439 in the direction of Volterra and when you reach the bridge spanning the river
Cecinafollow the roadsigns to Berignone- Lanciaia. Past the Possera river, turn left to the Cecina river in
the area called "guado del Mulino di Berignone";. Here, continue on foot towards the source of the river
to Masso delle Fanciulle named after a medieval legend. Following the river it is possible to reach
Masso degli Specchi and the nature reserve of the Berignone forest. Back on the road follow the
directions to Puretta, drive up the hill past the village of Lama and the Lanciaia farmstead and the
Rocca Sillana, an ancient fortress that dominated over the Cecina Valley and the Pavone and the
Possera rivers will come into view. Continue along the road past Quercetello, where there is an
area to park the car at Barbiano and the Leccio farm and proceed on foot (a 15 minute walk) up to
the Rocca di Sillano.
The hill was originally inhabited by both the Etruscans and the Romans and in the Middle Ages a fortress was built to defend the copper and silver mines present in the area. The mineral resources were contested by the bishops and the commune of Volterra and in 1300 the fortress became the property of the Petroni family from Siena. From 1386 it was the property of the commune of Florence and subsequently that of the Republic of Florence when Volterra was defeated in 1472 and a garrison of soldiers was established at the fortress. In 1474 the fortress was rebuilt by the architect Giuliano da Sangallo. Since 1980 it has been the property of the commune of Pomarance and in 1985 restoration work and archaelogical investigation were begun by the Superintendence of Pisa and Florence in collaboration with the commune of Pomarance. Electricity was brought to the Rocca in 2001 as part of a lighting project to illuminate the historical monuments in Italy promoted by Enel and the commune of Pomarance.

Rocca Sillana


Panoramic view



On the road to San Dalmazio, the 18th century sanctuary La Madonna della Casa dedicated to Our
lady and built by the Barony family is worth a visit and so are the ruins of the parish church of Sillana dedicated to
Saint John the Baptist. The church was built in the 12th century and preserves part of its Romanesque- Norman
facade. The blind entwined arches are a Norman architectural feature and the only example in Tuscany.

Back on the provincial road, at the crossroads known as the Apparita take the turning to Pomarance and after a kilometre you will reach San Dalmazio, a medieval village named after a Benedectine convent dedicated to Saint Armazzo and Saint Dalmazio. The narrow streets of this 11th century village lead to two chapels, la Compagnia della Carità; and Saint Donnino where the miraculous nail, said to belong to Saint Donnino which healed wounds, has been conserved since antiquity. On the facade of one of the houses there is an archaic relief known as the "Beast of San Dalmazio"; and close-by, the bell tower and the church of the old convent that still houses splendid works of art and a Della Robbia majolica tabernacle. Continuing the journey in the direction of Volterra past the ancient Bulera village, take a right turn back towards Pomarance.

San Dalmazio


'Masso delle fanciulle'

testi Jader Spinelli
linea orizzontale
prodotti tipici borghi e chiese musei
Natural Produce Villages and churchs Geotermia  
un soffio di toscana Un Soffio di Toscana - Pomarance - Pisa - www.unsoffioditoscana.it - info@unsoffioditoscana.it                        Siti Amici     SiteMap un soffio di toscana
un soffio di toscana
italiano english french deutsch home home home